Dentistry was the one career I didn't consider while I was growing up. I had pretended to be a teacher, a doctor, a business owner and Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), but not once did I even think about being a dentist.
What brought this thought on? I had a dental appointment this morning. All I could think of while I was sitting on that chair was how disgusting it must be to have to look down a person's orifice throughout the day. After all, isn't the mouth the dirtiest part of our body?
Sheesh, I guess even as young as I was, I was already germophobic even if I didn't know it yet.
So yeah, I got fillings today. I have to get fillings for another tooth in a couple of weeks. My dentist keeps giving me shots to numb the area. Now, I've always had to get fillings, cavities are my biggest dental problem. (I am never giving up sweets. Never!) But I don't remember ever having to be numbed for it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's better to be numbed than having to endure pain, but the sight of that needle and the thought that it will be stabbed into my gums freak me out all the time. What if he over-stabs and the needle goes through my cheek or something?
Yes, I have an overactive imagination. That's why I can't watch any of the Final Destination movies anymore because it gives my imagination more ammunition.
I stop by work on my way home to pick something up (I can't find my badge!), and ended up chatting with some co-workers for a few minutes. One asks about the softball league and I say that we have a game tomorrow. So I started talking about going to the batting cages yesterday, and how the outside of my wrist hurts because I keep hitting it with the end of the bat when I swing. The boys say that I swing with my wrist and I should let go. One advised me to "swing it like a sword". Boys, really.
They asked if they could join the team, and I told them I think we had enough boys but I'd check. We need more girls so if they can wear wigs... No, they'll just wait until next season. (Hehe.)
"Do you have any cute girls on the team?"
"All the girls are taken."
"But are they cute?"
"Yeah, they're all cute. But they're all taken."
"It's ok, we'll just look."
Good grief.
I can't wait for tomorrow though. I need to get batting gloves.