This is The Connector. Its a Richard Serra sculpture commissioned by H and E Segerstrom for the Center to comemorate our expansion. With the opening of the new Concert Hall, we will be the largest performing arts venue in the United States. Or so they say during the Center staff meetings.Anyway, what you see before you are torqued (rusted) steel plates stretching some 66 feet high. It's supposed to be a focal point in the new plaza that is being constructed between Segerstrom Hall and the new Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, as part of the Segerstrom Center for the Arts. (I know, confusing huh? Throw in Segerstrom Stage of SCR, and it's confusion all around.) There are 2 openings in the base, which is about 20 feet wide, and people can walk through it. I have a feeling there will be quite a few attempts to "get it on" in there.
Big, rusted metal plates. For about 7 figures. I think it's a waste of a huge chunk of change, but what do I know?
From a patron's email:
Please tell us when your construction crew is finally going to cut down, and take away, that deadful eyesore that is sticking up in the air across the street from where we live at the Lakes? We are referring to the rusted hunk of metal that has been there for some time. You don't have to look at it all of the time, we do. Thank you.
Our reply:
That actually is a sculpture that was put in. I apologize.
He emails back:
Sculpture!!!!!!!!! Whose dreadful taste is that? A rusty peice of twisted metal? Someone grossly overpaid for that!